Search Articles

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Welcome readers. :)

Nearly everyone would like to improve their overall health. With so much information online, sometimes it's hard to figure out what the best solutions are.

My name is Steph, I enjoy researching and learning about nutrition and health, as well as money saving, and various other topics. There is a lot of good information out there readily available, and my goal is to find it and bring it to my readers.

Right now I am going through my own health struggles. I have some goals I would like to meet while I am still young.

Growing up I never had a problem with weight gain, I was a tiny bit overweight in 7th grade, but for the most part my whole life I was in good shape and in a healthy weight range. As a kid I was very athletic, playing in basketball, softball, and cheerleading leagues. During my teenage years I kept myself occupied with work, film making, Dance Dance Revolution, and horseback riding lessons. However, during college my "freshman fifteen" weight gain became my "freshman fifty". With lots of classes, work, and stress, it seemed to become a never ending cycle. I didn't even have the same challenges as students who live in the dorms, where a kitchen is not readily available and all your food must be salty snacks, takeout, or whatever you can put in the microwave. I was dismayed when I gained weight during the weeks right before my wedding, and my previously perfectly fitting wedding dress barely zipped up, and needed a pin to hold the top together. Once, briefly, I barely passed the 200 pound mark later that year, and I knew I had to make some changes. I have made many excuses the past few years. But right now, it is impossible for me to find a job in my field, and my final courses are all online electives. There are no more excuses. I have the time and the resources to get back into the shape I should be in. It's going to be an uphill battle, and will take a lot of effort. But I'm ready now. My family has a history of type 2 diabetes, my grandmother has it, and I am at a high risk. I've had a few scary occurrences of hypoglycemia recently, and since then I've been paying much better attention to what I am putting in my body. I also have very bad acid reflux, so in effect my body punishes itself when I eat poorly. There are certain things I have to avoid, and when I slip up, I get sick. I happen to have a great love of vegetables and many healthy foods, so I have an advantage there. The trick is avoiding the bad foods I always get cravings for. We all have that struggle.

Weight loss and improving your overall health doesn't just happen by cutting back what you eat and exercising. You need to be eating the right kinds of foods and eating for fuel. You need to know what kind of fuel your body needs and what foods have the right nutrients that can fight illnesses and give you the energy to go about your day.

Nobody is perfect, and we all slip up once in a while. I know I do. But don't let those slip ups cause you to give up on your journey to better health.  I'll be sharing my tips and research, putting them into practice, and sharing my opinion and results on whether they worked for me or not. I'll recommend healthy alternatives to those pesky cravings. I'm at a stage in my life where I am excited to try new foods, but I am still a picky eater sometimes. I'll be trying new foods and recipes and talking about them in blog posts. I'll post some restaurant reviews and recommend healthy and delicious foods that will keep you on track to good health.

If you have ever seen the show "Extreme Couponing" you have found my latest interest. :) I have not yet found the great deals where you can get free food, but I can save quite a bit on a grocery trip. I'll be posting money saving tips as well.

And who can forget our precious pets? My boston terrier Mika and my border collie Kaycee are both 11 months old, and they are like my kids. They are a very important part of my family, and I'm sure your pets are important to you as well. I'll be posting tips on keeping your pet healthy, and sometimes share some funny pet stories.



I hope this blog is entertaining and informative. Feel free to share your stories, tips, and recipes in the comments. I always appreciate advice! Happy reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment